Monday, February 7, 2011

Sometimes You Think of an Idea………..


……only to realise it’s a stinker, just like rotten eggs. I wanted to cut some discs from a log of polymer clay and was trying  to think of a way to cut them so they were all even. And then it came to me, a light bulb moment, why not use the egg slicer. I’ve used it to slice mushrooms and  strawberries so why not clay.

Hunted around until I found it in the junk  admin drawer and couldn’t wait to get started. I’m on a winner here, maybe I could patent the idea.

P1020831-1


Laid my log of clay across the bottom. Already I can see the first problem. A slight curve, oh well I can straighten it up after.

P1020832-1


Now comes the part where I shout out with excitement at my new found “invention”.

P1020833-1 


Not so fast dearie.

P1020834-1


It’s not quite turning out how you imagined.

P1020838-1


So then I had another idea. I could just use the slicing strings to measure the slices by gently impressing them into the clay and then continue cutting with my blade.

P1020835-1 

It’s ok, just so so.

P1020836-1


Oh well, back to the drawing board.

P1020839-1


But other things were a little more satisfying. I’ve got all these little beauties ready and waiting to get baked.

P1020840-1


I console myself with the fact that even though my invention didn’t work out, at least at my time of life my brain occasionally works…..to a degree!

5 comments:

  1. Maybe if you put the clay in the fridge for a while before cutting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or take the thing apart, throw out the plastic...sorry.. so you just have the wire section and press down to make your circles. A cheap one from the pound, dollar store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have butter cutters that will do the job. I’ve used them for hard cheeses. They work great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use a pastry cutter

    ReplyDelete